I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy. Because he bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!
The Lord protects those of childlike faith; I was facing death, and he saved me. Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.
Psalms 116:1-2, 6-7 NLT
It’s been hard to rest lately with so much unrest around us. The chaos in the White House has spilled over into our house. Every direction we turn there seems to be trouble in all the land. It just feels like somebody has left the gate open and we are under attack. But God!
One of the songs I loved to hear as a child was a lined hymn that said:
I love the Lord; He heard my cries,
And pitied every groan;
Long as I live, when troubles rise,
I’ll hasten to His throne.
I love the Lord; He bowed His ear,
And chased my griefs away;
O let my heart no more despair,
While I have breath to pray!
With so much going on in this world, mass shootings, hurricanes, and injustice; we have to find a way out of our anxiety other than drugs and alcohol.
- We have to pray without ceasing. When we decide to cry out to God for mercy the psalmist says that God bends down to listen. Sometimes when the babies speak to me after church I bend down to hear their whisper. We are God’s children and he bends down to listen when we cry out.
- I will pray as long as I have breath. Jesus prayed from the time he was a child until he cried out on the cross, “It is finished!” and he breathed his last. Just as you talk on your phone until all the power is gone from the battery so too you should pray to God.
- The Lord protects those of child like faith. We have to trust God again. We have become so cynical that we have started to lose faith. When times get hard you don’t lose your faith, you use your faith.
- I was facing death and he saved me. David said, “Even though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil for God is with me!” With death all around us we have got to cry out to God because he is the only one who can save us.
- Let my soul be at rest again, for God has been good to me. When we remind ourselves of God’s track record it should help us find rest again. Be anxious for nothing but in everything submit your requests to God (Philippians 4:6). Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.
There is so much going on but we trust you. God we are crying out to you to save us. Father we need you to bring order to the White House. We need you to break the curse off of our house. We need you to bring your people back to worship in your house. Because we believe that if your people who are called by your name would repent and turn from their evil ways you will bend down and hear their prayers and heal our land.
In Jesus’ Name,