Acts 16: This went on day after day until Paul, in great distress, turned and spoke to the demon within her. “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her,” he said. And instantly it left her.
There are so many things going on in our world that should bother us: murders, theft, terrorism, environmental racism-with contaminated water in flint and unsafe people in your circles of influence. It’s enough to drive you crazy.
God gives believers a high threshold for ignorance but it’s only so much you can take. At some point you have to turn around and speak directly to what is troubling you.
Day after day this young lady caught up into slavery making money for her masters by telling the future was following Paul and Silas. Day after day she would be right behind them with this annoying proclamation.
There are some people assigned by the enemy to annoy you. What is it that bothers you day in and day out? Something troubles you but you haven’t addressed it yet.
- Turn around and face it. Whatever is bothering you is not going away until you turn around and face it. Don’t act like you don’t see it or hear it. Address it head on. Enough is enough.
- Speak to the spirit. Paul didn’t condemn the girl; he commanded the evil spirit to come out of her. Sometimes on a good day people can be used by the devil and not even know they are troubling you. Speak to the spirit! Jesus had to rebuke the evil spirit in his closest disciple Peter when he said, “Get behind me Satan! You want the things of men and not the things of God!”
- Whenever you speak against something that is troubling you, kill the spirit but redeem the person. The spirit came out of the girl.
- Be prepared for backlash for speaking up. One of my classmates in my workout group said Beyoncé’s halftime performance was racist because she said, “black lives matter.” Whenever you speak out against injustice, as Beyoncé did, there will be a backlash especially if it’s tied to economics.
- Rejoice that God would consider you worthy to suffer for Christ in doing the right thing. Jesus told us, “If they hated me they will hate you also!”
- Get ready for the chains to fall off. After they beat Paul and Silas they threw them in Prison. They sang and praised God while the other prisoners were watching. God sent an earthquake that set all the captives free and brought salvation to the jailer!
When you speak truth to what troubles you God will set the captives free. Open your mouth to injustice!
Help me open my mouth to speak out against injustice and to stand for what’s right. Give me words of wisdom that cannot be disputed. Protect me from my enemies and give me spiritual strength to tear down everything that’s been trying to oppress your people.
In Jesus Name,