Luke 1:41-45 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: ‘Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!’
There are two types of people that can come into your life: those that drain you or those that inspire you; choose wisely.
Real friends are those that can celebrate what God is doing new in you. You have to be selective in who you allow in your space especially when what you have in you is anointed by God.
Elizabeth and Mary were given good news by God six months apart from each other. The good news was that God would bless each of them with a baby. Elizabeth was old and barren. Mary was young and a unmarried virgin. To be pregnant was a move of God for both women. They just couldn’t tell anybody how this happened. This was special.
How do you know whom to let in?
- They have to have a similar story and anointing. The angel said to Mary, “Even your cousin Elizabeth is in her sixth month of pregnancy and she was barren. What is impossible with man is possible with God!” After Mary heard that she went to visit Elizabeth. Go visit people who have the same blessing and burden as you. Otherwise they may be jealous or unsympathetic.
- You know you have the right friend when their baby leaps at the sound of your voice. If they can’t get excited about what’s inside of you they are not the right friend.
- When both of you are inspired by the Holy Spirit they are the right friend. The opposite is also true. If they constantly drain you that person is not the right friend.
- When they can speak affirmation of what God already told you then you know that is the right friend. Mary hadn’t told Elizabeth anything but after her baby leaped she recognized Mary as, “the mother of my Lord!” How do your friends see you?
- There should be Respect and admiration. Elizabeth asked, “why am I so favored that the mother of my Lord would visit me?” Friends enjoy spending time with each other and they don’t take that time for granted.
- Friends touch and agree with you on the birth of what God has spoken over your life. Don’t let toxic people around you who could abort your dream with their negative outlooks. Friends aren’t “yes” people but they are “good” people who will help you clearly see God and speak life over you.
Surround me with the right friends. Keep my circle tight and right. Most of all help me to be the kind of friend that I want in my life. Thank you for being a friend that sticks closer than any brother. I love you Jesus!