Matthew 20:6-7 About five in the afternoon he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, “Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?” ‘“Because no one has hired us,” they answered. ‘He said to them, “You also go and work in my vineyard.”
It always amazes me when I hear about the many work opportunities for people in Memphis but we have one of the highest unemployment rates for blacks. It’s not a shortage of jobs but a shortage of qualified people or people who refuse qualification. Not long ago we had a workforce development session. One young lady said, “Why do we have to have the training so early?!”
There are people who are looking for work and there are employers looking for workers and finally there are people standing around.
Jesus said, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few! Pray that the Lord of the harvest will send more workers!” There are plenty of opportunities but not enough workers.
Jesus tells a parable of a man that needed workers for his harvest. He started looking early in the morning and even up to an hour before quitting time. He found a group that had been standing there all day. The master asked them, “Why have you been standing here all day?” They said, “Nobody has hired us!” Here’s the thing. It’s harvest time why should somebody have to come looking for you?
The question is not, “Why don’t you have a job? The question, “Why are you still standing there?”
- Because nobody has asked us. When you know there’s work to be done you don’t wait for them to come to you. You go offer your gifts. Your gifts will make room for you and bring you into the presence of great men.
- Be like Ruth! Ask to glean and work harder than anybody else and watch your work ethic catch the supervisor’s attention.
- Don’t stand around idle. Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
- Don’t worry about being last, just do the work that they give you and do it just as good, if not better, than the people that go there before you.
- Tenure doesn’t beat favor. If God wants to bless you, it doesn’t matter how long you’ve been there just as long as you do the work. Matthew 20:15-16 “Don’t I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?” ‘So the last will be first, and the first will be last.’
Thank you for finding me and giving me meaningful work. You could have picked anybody but I’m glad you picked me. I am going to do the work of him who sent me while it is day for when night comes no man will be able to work. In this field calls for working bum going to work a little while then I’m going home.
In Jesus Name,