God spoke to Moses: “Speak to the congregation of Israel. Tell them, Be holy because I, God, your God, am holy.”
I can still remember the love that my community had as a child. Our neighbors actually cared for one another. No matter how many times I watch the news it still bothers me to see all of the violence and chaos in our modern day neighborhoods. It’s not supposed to be like this. We have gotten away from Gods blueprint for how we should be as his people.
It dawned on me this morning that what God laid out in Chapter 19 of Leviticus was really a blueprint for how Holiness was to be practiced in community. The first thing he says is…
1. Respect your mother and father. The fabric of the family must be restored. Parents have to be parents and not peers to their children. Leviticus 19:2
2. We should honor the Lord’s Day. One day out of the week should be a day that we honor God in Worship and rest. One week without God makes one weak. Leviticus 19:2
3. Do not worship things that are not God. Idols are anything we put in God’s place. Leviticus 19:4
4. When you reap your harvest leave some for the poor. In Holy communities you share your blessings with those who are in need. Leviticus 19:9-10
5. Do not steal, lie, or deceive one another. There was a time we could leave our doors unlocked but now we trust no one. When you are born again in Jesus you should no longer steal. Lying is a sign that your Father is the devil. Stop lying, stealing, and deceiving. Leviticus 19:11
6. Do not rob your neighbor. You should never take what someone else has worked hard to get. That is evil. Leviticus 19:13
7. Don’t spread gossip and rumors. Don’t just stand by when your neighbor’s life is in danger. I am God. Leviticus 19:16
8. Don’t secretly hate your neighbor. If you have something against him, get it out into the open; otherwise you are an accomplice in his guilt. Leviticus 19:17
9. Don’t seek revenge or carry a grudge against any of your people. Leviticus 19:18
10. Love your neighbor as yourself. I am God. Leviticus 19:18
Teach me how to be Holy so I can make my neighborhood Holy. Teach me how to love myself so that I can truly love my neighbor. Help me to become the change I want to see in my neighborhood. Make us Holy as you are Holy.
In Jesus Name,