2 Peter 1:5-8 “The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
If we are not careful we can get to a place of stagnation in your spiritual growth. Some people got baptized at a young age but never matured spiritually. It’s almost like a person who gets drafted into the NBA because they were a great player in college or high school but they didn’t develop themselves to play at the next level.
There is another level for you! You’re supposed to keep growing in your faith. Here’s how:
The Apostle Peter says that if we want to be effective and productive followers of Christ we must add some supplements to our spiritual diets.
- Add to your faith moral excellence. We have to have some rules to live by. Jesus said to his disciples, “If you love me keep my commandments.” God is Holy so if we belong to him we need to be Holy. We have to have some moral standards-which are found in the word of God.
- Add to Moral excellence knowledge. There are some Christians that have a zeal for God but lack knowledge. That’s why it’s important to study to show yourself approved as a worker who doesn’t need to be ashamed. In addition to worship you need to get into bible study or a small group like we have at New Direction called, “EmpowerU.”
- Add to knowledge self control. One of the things that separates the good from the great is discipline. At some point you must learn to beat your body and bring it into submission to the greater purpose for your life. An athlete for example goes into strict training to win a prize. That takes discipline. Just because something is permissible doesn’t mean it’s beneficial. It takes discipline to say no to what’s permissible but not beneficial to you winning.
- Add to self-control patient endurance. The race is not given to the swift or to the strong but to those who endure to the end. We have to learn how to be patient as we endure trials and tribulations. Patience is a virtue and waiting won’t hurt you.
- Add to patient endurance godliness. Our actions should be “God like.” Our actions should not be evil.
- Add to godliness brotherly affection. This means being nice to people. Learn how to work well with others.
- Add to brotherly affection love. Now this is tricky because it’s not the watered down love we are used to. This is a higher love called agape. Agape love throughout the New Testament is defined as brotherly love, affection, good will, love, and benevolence. Whether the love given is returned or not, the person continues to love (even without any self-benefit).
If you want to take your spiritual growth to the next level you are going to have to add something. What level 1-7 are you stuck on? What do you need to add today?
Help me to take an accurate assessment of where I am currently. Add to my faith what is needed so that I will not become stagnant. I’m ready to take my spiritual growth to another level today. Use me I pray.
In Jesus name,