How are you supplementing your spiritual growth?
2 Peter 1:5
In view of all this, make every effort to respond to God’s promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.”
2 Peter 1:6-7 NLT
I was in GNC looking for vitamins and supplements when the store manager talked me into purchasing a box of supplements. It had everything I needed for day and night. A multivitamin, glucobolic, omega 3, digestive enzymes, liver guard, and a sleep aide. Instead of purchasing multiple bottles everything I needed for a healthier body was in that box.
As we think about spiritual growth everything we need is in the Bible. It’s not enough to go to church but you need some supplements to ensure that you are spiritually healthy. Here’s a list of supplements you need to be healthy spiritually.
- Moral excellence. This is when you are concerned with the principles of right or wrong. Peter had some advise on this when he said this in I Peter 2:12 Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world. 1 Peter 2:12
- Knowledge. It’s not enough to be “good”. Because you can be good and ignorant. In order to keep growing spiritually you have to study to show yourself approved so that you can give an account for what you believe.
- Practice self-control. As you keep growing in your faith you have to decide what’s is good and what is beneficial for you. Just because something is “legal” for you to do doesn’t mean it is beneficial for you. It takes self control to say no to things that look good or feel good but or not good for you.
- Patient endurance. Can you go through adversity without giving up? Michael Jordan said if you learn how to bleed in practice you won’t sweat in the game. In our practice of living out our faith we must learn how to endure hardships with patience.
- Godliness. When we make religious observances a regular part of our lives. I watched a documentary on Africans in America. After we’re liberated from Slavery one of the first things we did was establish our own churches so we could express our faith and appreciation for God. We were a “Godly” people.
- Brotherly and sisterly affection. We actually care about each other without there being sexual attachment. We take care of each other’s needs.
- Love for everyone. This is agape love. It’s not a warm fuzzy feeling but rather love in action that does what’s right regardless of who the person is. It’s a love that is sacrificial.
As you can see there are levels to this spiritual growth thing. We have to take all these supplements to be in optimal health.
As you look at this list ask yourself, “am I taking all of my supplements or is something missing that could stunt my spiritual development?”
Help me to take all my needed supplements so that I can continue to develop at a healthy pace. Search me Oh God and if you see anything missing send me a supplement.
In Jesus’ Name