For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers of this dark age. So put on God’s armour now! Ephesians 6:12-13 The Good News Bible (GNB)
There’s a lot going on in this world! There is violence and murder all around us. Just this past week we lost one of our dear city leaders, Phil Trenary. He was shot down in cold blood in an attempted robbery. He was walking home from a benefit to raise money to help people through a 4K run.
Phil is one of many susceptible citizens in a city where hopelessness has caused the desperation of people to be caught up in the depravity of human nature.
We have to go out prepared to do battle! I’m not talking about strapping up with more guns. Jesus told Peter, “that those who live by the sword will die by the sword.” Our fight is not against poor blacks or racist whites. Our fight is not against left wing liberals or alt-right radicals. Our fight is not against flesh and blood, but against wicked spiritual forces that misuse vulnerable people who are spiritually uncovered.
I propose that every citizen put on their under armor!
The Apostle Paul suggested some specific pieces we should cover ourselves with:
- Stand ready with truth as a belt around your waist. Without a belt we have nothing to hold up our pants and we walk around exposing ourselves. Jesus is the way, the TRUTH, and the light. When we use Jesus as our center set, his life points to the way of truth. Jesus said that if we loved God we would keep his teachings or his truth.
- Put on righteousness as your breastplate. Living according to God’s standard of right living will protect our most vital organ; our heart. Lauryn Hill asked the right question when she rapped, “How you going to win when you ain’t right within?”
- Put on your shoes to spread the good news. Jesus said, “I’ve been anointed to preach Good News to the poor.” This is our antidote to hopelessness. People need to know an alternative to their hopelessness besides giving into their depravity.
- At all times carry a shield of faith to put out the flaming arrows of the evil one. We need to carry around the belief that there is someone bigger than any attack from satan. We need to activate our force field so that the devil will not penetrate our thinking. As a man thinks so is he. Many people are unnecessarily wounded by arrows that faith should’ve blocked.
- Put on salvation as a helmet. The other day I saw a football game where a player lost his helmet during a play and was struck in the head by another player’s helmet. He was uncovered and suffered a nasty laceration. When we accept God’s salvation through Jesus as our Lord and Savior ,we have our heads protected. You can’t function in this dangerous world without a helmet of salvation.
- The word of God as a sword that the spirit gives you. For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires (Hebrews 4:12).
These are dangerous times! Extreme circumstances call for extreme measures. If we are going to protect our loved ones and our city we must do like they say in the Under Armor commercials, “We must protect this house!” Put on the full armor of God!
Please cover us today and every day by dressing us in your full armor. Let your Holy Spirit take inventory and if there is anything missing from our armor, please bring it to our attention so that we will not be vulnerable to attack. Forgive us for going out half-dressed or not dressed at all. Today, Father, we are ready to put our under armor back on.
In Jesus’ Name,